Friday, April 4, 2008

A Wrinkle in Time

Since A Wrinkle in Time is a children's book, I think the views are simplistic but sweet anyway. The message that love is powerful and transformative is valuable to pass on to children. I enjoyed the fantasy aspects and the Mrs. W's in particular. The picture in my mind of Mrs. Whatsit made me laugh. It was similar to the fairy godmother in Cinderella who transforms the mice , the horse and Cinderella into something beautiful with a magic wand and the bippity boppity boo song. Her goofy character at the beginning becomes a beautiful spiritual creature. Perhaps the author is telling us to look beyond what is seen on the surface and to try to connect with people's spiritual essence. L'Engle also shows the reader the value of loyalty and bravery in Meg's single mindedness to find her father and save her brother. I especially liked the character of Aunt Beast. She provides a balance to Meg's intense and obstinate nature. It is in Aunt Beast that I see a Christian religious connection. She is a character of faith saying there are some things that you just know without seeing. She also reprimands Meg for speaking about her father in terms of blame and guilt: love is all that is needed in our human interactions. The end is predictable like a fairy tale; everyone lives happily ever after. I think young children might be frightened by this story- Meg's descriptions of not being able to breathe and murdreing children when they are sick. Even though all is well at the end, I would not have chosen this book for my children.

No comments: